The Vandalia Fire Department responded to a call for a residential gas leak on Wednesday afternoon. The call came in at about 12:40pm after a mail carrier smelled a gas odor at 503 N. 8th Street and contacted the fire department. The home was evacuated and a gas company employee who happened to be working in the area was able to respond to the location as well. Keith Meadows of the fire department says the basement of the home was filled with a gas smell and it had begun to permeate the upstairs. The gas company was able to turn the gas off and an employee of Ameren was also on hand and along with the fire department and police department, thoroughly checked the home and kept traffic away from the area while the issue was being investigated. Meadows says the fire department was on hand for about 45 minutes and praised the combined work of the Vandalia Fire Department, Vandalia Police Department, Liberty Utilities and Ameren in their quick work in the matter.