#1 Altamont leads #4 Patoka, 17-12, After 1st Quarter. Jered Cain has 10 points for Patoka while Ryan Armstrong has 8 points for Altamont.
#1 Altamont leads #4 Patoka, 33-26, At Halftime. Ryan Armstrong and Sam Childerson each have 8 points for Altamont while Jered Can has 14 points for Patoka.
#1 Altamont leads #4 Patoka, 49-48, After 3rd Quarter. Jered Cain has 23 points for Patoka while Sam Adam Mayhaus has 12 points for Altamont.
#4 Patoka Upsets #1 Altamont, 65-63, To Win St. Elmo 1A Regional Championship. Jered Cain finished with 27 points and Garrett Belcher had 18 points for Patoka. Adam Mayhaus led Altamont with 20 points.
The Regional Championship win is the 3rd in a row for the Warriors.
Patoka advances to the Bridgeport Red Hill Sectional.
Notes on Patoka vs. Altamont (Courtesy of Kurt Becker)
- Altamont is 22-7 all-time against Patoka, including 2-1 in postseason play
- This is the first postseason meeting between the schools since 1999, when Patoka defeated Altamont, 59-55, in the Altamont Regional quarterfinals
- Altamont has won both prior meetings this season, prevailing 76-72 in pool play on Dec. 26 at the Vandalia Holiday Tournament, and winning 80-43 in a non-conference match on Altamont’s home floor on Jan. 22
- Patoka’s Jered Cain, a 6-2 junior, recently surpassed his father (Patoka assistant coach Scott Cain) as the school’s all-time scoring leader
- Cain had games of 27 and 26 points, respectively, in the two prior matches with Altamont this season, while the Indians were led by Branden Hosick (22 points) and Adam Mayhaus (28), respectively
- Patoka has won four regionals in its school history (1974, 1989, 2014, and 2015)
- Altamont owns six regional titles (1947, 1973, 2002, 2003, 2009, and 2010)
- Patoka’s 1974 and 1989 championships both came at St. Elmo, while Altamont was the champion at St. Elmo in 1947 and 2009
- Altamont will try to break a string which has seen the Indians sustain a loss in the regional championship each of the last four years, including a 57-55 overtime setback to Nokomis last season despite 35 points from guard Ryan Armstrong