With summer right around the corner, the City of Vandalia is informing city residents of the Streets Department procedures including a new change taking effect on June 1. During Monday night’s city council meeting, an ordinance amendment was passed addressing the city’s municipal code and discussion was briefly held on the issue of residents blowing grass and yard waste into the street which can cause several different problems. Mayor Gottman said the city would look to enforce the procedural rules more strictly. The procedures as handed out at the meeting are as follows:
• All yard waste must be placed in 30-gallon biodegradable paper bags that weigh no more than 40 pounds prior to pick up. Yard waste includes grass, hedge clippings, flowers, weeds and garden waste.
• Brush and yard waste bag removal will be provided to the city of Vandalia residents once a week as schedule and weather allows.
• All sticks are to be cut no longer than 6 feet and should not be stacked any higher than 2 feet. Furthermore, they shall be stacked neatly in one direction parallel along the curb, street or ally by 7:00am on Monday mornings.
• If brush will require more than one pickup truck load, residents will need to contact the City Street Department to make arrangements prior to placement along curb, street or alley.
That number is 283-1296, if there is no answer, a message can be left.
• Building materials WILL NOT be collected at any time.
• Brush and trees that have been cut or yard waste that has been bagged by anyone other than the resident/home owner WILL NOT be collected at any time.
• Mowing grass, or blowing leaves, gumballs or yard waste of any kind into a city street or alley WILL NOT be permitted at any time. (established by Municipal Code Section 9.12.040 – amended at May 1, 2017 City Council Meeting)
• Brush or sticks shall not be placed on the roadway at any time.
• Citizens of Vandalia that wish to use the city compost area for yard waste and brush are free to do so year-round.