A St. Elmo area family was able to get out of their home unharmed, but the house is said to be a total loss. The fire was at the home of Jeff and Katie Shelton. St. Elmo Fire Chief Doug Engeljohn says the fire started in the laundry room around of the home. Firefighters from several area departments, including Brownstown and Altamont, were called to assist at the scene. The home was a total loss and all the content were destroyed–but there were no injuries. The fire call came in around 2:20 this morning. The home is located about 4 miles north St. Elmo.